In order to support students affected by disasters, the Japan Student Services Organization provides emergency scholarships to students whose homes were damaged within regions which are eligible for disaster support.
Students whose homes suffered severe damage and who will have great economic difficulty in continuing their studies should apply immediately to the contact point listed below.
1. Regions eligible for disaster support
【Tochigi Prefecture】 Moka City; Haga County, Motegi Town; Haga County, Mashiko Town
【Ibaraki Prefecture】 Tsukuba City, Hitachinomiya City, Chikusei City, Sakuragawa City
2. Application of eligible regions
For adjacent regions which are not eligible for disaster support, the following cases will be treated the same as eligible regions: 1) Students from homes which suffered similar damage, 2) students from homes in which a parent is employed in the disaster region and their workplace was damaged.
3. Start of loan
(1) Emergency Scholarship (1st scholarship type)
Month specified by applicants from May 2012 or later
(2) Special Aid Scholarship (2nd scholarship type)
Month specified by applicants from April 2012 or later
4. End of loan
(1) Emergency Scholarship: March 2013. However, extended until the end of the following academic year if a Request for Continuation of Emergency Scholarship is submitted. By submitting a continuation request at the end of the academic year, the scholarship can be extended until the final month of the standard period required for study.
(2) Special Aid Scholarship: Until the final month of the standard period required for study.
Tama Campus (for graduate students and undergraduate students in humanities faculties (including professional graduate schools))
Student Welfare Section TEL 042-674-3461
Korakuen Campus (for graduate students and undergraduate students in science and engineering faculties)
Student Life Section at Korakuen Campus TEL 03-3817-1716