Site Info

  • At a Glance
  • International Exchange Programs
  • International Students Entrance Examination Outline
  • Chuo Online
  • iTunes U


International Center

742-1 Higashinakano, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo
192-0393 Japan

Tel:+81-42-674-2211, 2212
Inquiry Form



How can I obtain an application for admission to the undergraduate faculties of Chuo University?
Please click here.
How can I obtain an application for admission to the Graduate Schools of Chuo University?
Please click here.

*Chuo University Graduate Schools Admission Information Website( liberal arts / social sciences / humanities )
Does Chuo University have pre-enrollment preparatory courses for international students?
Sorry. Chuo University does not offer preparatory courses for degree-seeking students.
To what extent do I need Japanese proficiency?
As most classes at Chuo University for degree-seeking students are in Japanese, you will be required to have Japanese language proficiency for admission. We would advise you to study Japanese for 1-2 years at a Japanese language school in Japan or in your country before taking the entrance examination. If you need information regarding Japanese language schools in Japan, please see the following homepage:

Association for the Promotion of Japanese Language Education
Can I apply as a non-degree student?
Chuo University does not accept non-degree students, unless recommended by institutions with which Chuo University has student exchange agreements, the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho), or equivalent bodies.
What kinds of scholarships does Chuo University have for degree-seeking students?
Chuo University offers three types of scholarships:
  1. 30% reduction of tuition fees.
  2. Scholarships for new undergraduate students that cover 30% of the tuition and laboratory fees.
  3. Scholarships for undergraduate students (3rd year and above) and graduate students, which cover 50% of tuition and laboratory fees. Selection of scholarship grantees will be made on the basis of the results of entrance examinations given by Chuo University as well as based on the student's financial situation. Please note that Chuo University scholarships cannot cover all expenses for study in Japan. Chuo University scholarships will be available only after admission to Chuo University. You will be given detailed information about the scholarships (e.g. application procedures, deadlines) at the international student orientation after admission.
What kinds of Off-campus Scholarships are available?
Various off-campus scholarships (i.e. scholarships of public/private scholarship foundations) will be available after enrollment in Chuo University. It is, however, very difficult to get a scholarship, because there are many applicants every year. Please note that most of the scholarships by public/private scholarship foundations are available only after admission to a Japanese university.
How to apply for Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) scholarship to participate in the Non-Degree Research Program?
The application process through Japanese Embassies is as follows. The local Japanese embassies conduct the initial screening and then make their recommendations to The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology:MEXT (Monbukagakusho). MEXT confers with the selection committee, deliberates with the host schools, and then makes its final selections. While candidates may express their preferences for specific schools of study, the final decision will be made by MEXT. For further details, please contact the Japanese embassy in your own specific country or region. In the screening process, you are supposed to submit to the Japanese embassy a "Letter of Acceptance" from the host school. The form of "Letter of Acceptance" should be completed by a professor whose major field is the same as yours and who can accept you as your academic adviser. If you would like us to explore the possibility of finding for you such a professor, please send the following materials. Please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to find a suitable professor to become your academic adviser.
For those passed the first-stage exam, please send the copies of below documents to the International Center (Mailing address is shown in the Q&A 2.) Be sure to send all the application materials which you have submitted to an Embassy of Japan.

For further details, please visit Monbukagakusho website at:

In addition to the above, be sure to send the followings together.
1) Letter of Acceptance
2) Certificate of examination
*Official stamp on the application materials by the Embassy of Japan is necessary.

Syllabus and teaching staffs can be seen on the following web site at:
(The information can be provided in Japanese only.)
Does Chuo University have dormitories for international students?
Yes, Chuo University opened its International House in March 2011, creating a place where students can develop an international perspective through communication with all types of individuals: new students coming from across Japan, international students, researchers, and exchange students from Chuo’s partner institutions.
If you have further question regarding admission to Chuo University, please contact us.